Fertility Care & Physical Therapy in Chicago
Infertility can be caused by mechanical issues, in which case Physical Therapy is the first easy, non-invasive and safe option to increase your chances of getting pregnant.
Physical Therapy for infertility issues of mechanical origin
What are ‘mechanical infertility issues’?
Infertility issues of mechanical origin refer to problems that arise due to physical blockages or abnormalities in the reproductive system that prevent sperm from reaching and fertilizing the egg.
Some common causes of mechanical infertility include:
- blocked or damaged fallopian tubes
- uterine fibroids
- scarring of the reproductive organs
- pelvic floor muscle dysfunction
- adhesions from infections
By addressing these mechanical issues with our skilled and experienced team of physical therapists, you may be able to increase your chances of conceiving and carrying a pregnancy to term.
Physical Therapy for mechanical infertility may include the following:
- Pelvic floor muscle training. Weakness or dysfunction of the pelvic floor muscles can contribute to infertility or difficulty with conception. Physical therapy can include pelvic floor muscle training to improve muscle strength, tone, and coordination.
- Manual therapy. Manual therapy techniques such as myofascial release or trigger point release may be used to address muscle tension and adhesions that can contribute to pelvic pain or infertility.
- Posture and body mechanics. Poor posture or body mechanics can contribute to pelvic pain or dysfunction, which can impact fertility. Physical therapy can include education on proper posture and body mechanics to reduce pain and improve pelvic function.
- Exercise and activity modification. Exercise and activity modification can help reduce pelvic pain and improve overall pelvic function, which can improve fertility outcomes.
- Stress management techniques. Stress can have a negative impact on fertility, and physical therapy can include education on stress management techniques such as deep breathing, mindfulness meditation, or progressive muscle relaxation.
Pelvic floor physical therapy helps improve the strength and function of the muscles in the pelvic region, which can improve blood flow and reduce potential pain during intercourse. Manual therapy techniques help break up scar tissue and adhesions, which can restore normal movement and function to the reproductive organs.
Frequently Asked Mechanical Infertility Questions
Our approach to combatting mechanical infertility is through manual therapy, which involves using hands-on techniques to manipulate and mobilize the tissues in the affected area. For example, if you have adhesions in your pelvic area, we may use gentle pressure and stretching to help break up the scar tissue and improve blood flow to the area.
We will help identify any pelvic floor dysfunction you may be experiencing, and provide exercises to improve your muscle strength, and flexibility, which, in turn, improves blood flow to the reproductive organs.
Physical therapy is also helpful in addressing postural and alignment issues that may be contributing to mechanical infertility. Poor posture can put extra pressure on your pelvic area, causing pain and discomfort, and potentially affecting your fertility.
Our experienced and caring physical therapists work closely with you to identify any postural issues and provide exercises and stretches that can help improve your alignment and alleviate any associated pain or discomfort.
Regular exercise improves overall health and well-being, which can improve fertility outcomes. For example, exercise can help regulate hormones and improve insulin sensitivity, both of which can play a role in conceiving. Additionally, exercise can help manage stress and reduce inflammation, both of which can negatively impact fertility.
It’s important to note that physical exercise is not always recommended for everyone, particularly for people with certain medical conditions or undergoing certain fertility treatments (e.g., IVF) may be advised to avoid high-impact exercise during the treatment.
This is where physical therapy can be helpful. Our physical therapists work with you to identify the most appropriate types of exercise, as well as other aspects of well-being that may impact fertility — for example, it can help manage stress and reduce inflammation, both of which can negatively impact fertility outcomes.
Meet your PT Team
Our highly trained team of Chicago physical therapists are kind and caring professionals who understand the sensitivity and seriousness of their work to create a personalized treatment plan that is tailored to meet your needs and goals.
We know that PT can be a total game changer! It helps you get back your mobility, strength, and flexibility, and can make a huge difference in your daily life.
Increase your chances. Get Started Today
Meet your PT provider
Schedule an appointment and meet your Chicago Physical Therapist who will help you put together a PT plan.
Follow the customized plan
The physical therapy plan we create for you will ensure you get better and start feeling results, fast.
Reach your goals
Forget about embarrassment, pain, or holding back. Get back to living your life — stronger than ever.